Lost dog German shorthair pointer

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Lost dog German shorthair pointer

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    jebediah jake
    Participant

I recieved the Sportdog unit and have been using it on Ruby for the past few days. Links to the satellites within 30 seconds, and keeps the link very well in and among the trees. I have been leaving it on all day and the batteries are good for the entire time. Highly recommend.

jebediah jake
    Participant

I had a chance to use the SportDog training/tracking collar mentioned above over the last few days and can echo the comments about the collar. Easy to use, locks onto the satellites quickly, and holds the signals very well. I have been leaving the handheld control and collar on all day and the batteries hold up through the entire time. great product so far.
    Thanks for the advice.

allen
    Participant

For serious hiking or outbacking, the units mentioned my joe are nice. They both require a subscription fee, either monthly or annually. The SportDOG collar does not require a subscription fee but it is limited in range.

With the SPOT messenger, you can go on an outback trip in California and your friends in Florida (or wherever) can track you if they have the website info. I imagine the same is true for the InReach system.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

For the purpose of letting friends and family know where you are in the outback, you might consider the SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger. It seems to have a pretty good rating at REI. Unlike the dog collar, it’s not range limited.
    Another, somewhat more expensive but more capable device is the DeLorme InReacg SE Two-Way Satellite Communicator with GPS. It’s ratings are even better than the SPOT

allen
    Participant

That’s a cool idea. The collar will definitely fit around your neck. Range is “up to” seven miles but probably much less up here in the mountainous terrain. The handheld device needs to stay in communication with the GPS collar. Good luck!

jebediah jake
    Participant

Thanks, Allen. Based on your posts I have ordered the same unit. If it works on the dog, maybe the family can use it to track me when I go down to fish the Stanislaus as well….

allen
    Participant

Just an update on the SportDOG TEK series GPS collar. So far it works excellent. It locks on to satellites very quickly and even up here in BTV it does good job of tracking my Pointer. If the collar loses a GPS lock, the handheld device vibrates momentarily so you know but so far it only loses GPS lock for a few seconds at a time when my dog runs under a lot of trees. The collar is pretty large so it’s not for small breeds.

allen
    Participant

You’re welcome and thanks too. I’m actually upgrading to the one Snowshoe1958 suggested. I think it’s supposed to come tomorrow. Since our Pointer likes to disappear almost every morning when I take her on a run, I’ll let you know how well the new collar works after I try it. This morning she disappeared again and I had to ride my scooter all over the place before I found her.

jebediah jake
    Participant

Thanks for the posts. Allen, I hope the replacement works better.

allen
    Participant

I received my new tracking collar and the GPS receiver on the collar didn’t work, even if I set it out in the open for over an hour. I am returning it and going to try the sportDOG TEK-V1LT 1.0 GPS+E-Collar. A little pricey but I want something reliable. Thanks for the info Snowshoe1958.

allen
    Participant

We have “contain and train” collars for our Lab and Pointer. They work great but requires a wire buried around the property line (or wherever you want to keep the dog or dogs). Ours is an older model Innotek SD-3100. They make a newer model now but I’m not sure what it is. In the mornings I take the dogs for a run with my scooter or a walk, depending on the weather. This morning our Pointer took off again so I ordered a GPS tracking collar:

http://tinyurl.com/mf6sngm

I haven’t received it yet so I have no idea how well it will work. The collar suggested by Snowshoe1958 sounds good but there’s no containment feature. They need to make a 3-in-1 collar: Contain and train and track! 🙂

Snowshoe1958
    Participant

I have used Training/Command collars from SportDog and have had good results. Waterproof and made for more than your requirements.
    I have not used their Tracking collars yet.

http://www.sportdog.com/dog-tracking/tek

Great place to start

jebediah jake
    Participant

Now I am wondering about the trackng dog collars since I really don’t want to have to go through that again. Any ideas out there?

allen
    Participant

Glad you found Ruby! We also have German shorthair. She’s a great dog but also tends to run off whenever she has a chance.

twinboys
    Participant

I was running on Shoshone that a.m. when you told me you were looking for your dog. When I got back and told my family, we were all concerned for his safety. Very glad to hear the news.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.