Generator

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Generator

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    grizcoach
    Participant

@tatonka so if the stove was gas rather than electrical, then there should be no drag down. Also what was the cost of having the electrical panel installed?

Does anyone know how long a stand by generator will run if no one’s there? Can you have it run at a low rate to just keep the gas heater and a refrigerator going?

If the generator is standby, do you need a permit? If it’s not standby, do you still need a permit?

tatonka
    Participant

I bought a Duramax 10,000 gas portable a few years ago. Considered a standby, but kind of pricy. It sits on a pad in back of my garage. Had Pioneer Electric set up the sub panel with an HD electrical cord that can easily run to plug into the generator. In my opinion 10,000 watt is sufficient for emergencies. I start it up ever few weeks to keep the battery charged. I have not had to use it yet. Not as sophisticated as a true standby, but is sufficient. During shakedown I discovered that running several stove burners at once does drag the gen down.

MileHigh
    Participant

My wife would like me to explore getting a standby generator for our cabin in BTV. I’m thinking about a propane-fueled generator that could cover basic electrical service for 24-48 hours, but I know little about the cost or installation considerations. I understand that permits may be involved. (I’m thinking that a portable generator would be inadequate, but maybe I’m wrong there.) Could anyone share their experience on product decisions and installation factors and vendors?
    Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.