Generator

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Generator

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ptown Matt
    Participant

I have a Honda 2000 watt I used when I had a travel trailer. Quiet, reliable, fuel efficient. Honda also makes a parallel kit where you can have 2- 2000 watt generators connected for larger loads. Yamaha and other companies make similar generators as well. Sometimes you can find them used on Craig’s List, but I have found they hold their value really well, so a new one may be in order. Good luck!

caleach
    Participant

An update to my generator adventure. I purchased a DuroMax 12000 watt hybrid gas/propane generator. I am waiting for a quote from Pioneer for setting up a connection into the house grid.

I will keep the community updated.

Steve

Bill
    Participant

I have a 4000 watt gasoline generator I bought for $250. I also bought a Generac Transfer switch for about the same price. The transfer switch is a separate breaker panel that connects the generator to your electrical panel. Min has 6 circuits and is adequate for running the tv, lights throughout the house, the refrigerator and the microwave. If you are a weekender looking for an inexpensive solution to power the basic necessities, this is the way to go. If you are handy, installing the transfer switch is pretty easy. If you are a full time resident, a propane powered setup would be most convenient. Sometimes the power can be out for days on end, so with my setup, you have to ration its use.

mtndad
    Participant

Be sure the output is “electronics safe”

jr.
    Participant

If going the small generator route, like a Honda, I suggest the Smarter Tools generator built by Yamaha. It is available online thru Home Depot about $300 cheaper with everything being equal.

caleach
    Participant

OK, I have been doing some more research. Does anyone have experience with the DuroMax 12000 Watt 18hp Portable Hybrid Gas Propane Generator?

I know that this can wired into the main circuit and plugged in when needed. I assume I can get a local electrician to install the electrical transfer switches, etc.

Any comments?

Steve

mtndad
    Participant

Extension cords yes.

Hook into main panel NO.

I use an electric start generator with extension cords. The only problem is that is does not hook into the water heater, therefore after a couple of days we have cold water.

I’m sure others have ideas you may want to look into.

caleach
    Participant

Do individual items have to be plugged into a portable generator or can the generator easily hook into the grid in the house? If individual then would I have to have a series of extension cords running from the house to the generator?

Steve

MileHigh
    Participant

Carlshome, I guess I was confusing folks. We have a propane tank that was originally installed just for heating in our cabin and in a bonus room above the garage. I wish the line ran near the stove in the kitchen or the water heater, but it doesn’t. Anyway, we can either install a generator where the gas line comes into the cabin, and add the appropriate wiring, or put it by the existing panel, and get a gas line to it. I’m guessing the former option is cheaper, but I don’t know yet. (I’d like to just talk my wife out of the idea, but that would definitely be a bigger project…)

carlshome
    Participant

MileHigh,

Your original post suggested a propane powered generator. If you are installing a propane tank, and associated plumbing you are more than half way to propane stove and water heater. I suggest that while the plumber is there installing the gas line, that you run a gas line in the direction of your stove and/or water heater. This will give you the option of gas appliances in the future when one of them needs to be replaced.

Good luck with your project,

carlshome

MileHigh
    Participant

dbsynergy, the Powerwall looked really attractive, but the fully loaded installation cost seems to get it close to a generator cost (probably no accident in Tesla’s pricing calculation) and it wouldn’t provide backup power for as long as a generator. Also, since it is designed for frequent loading and discharge (as with a solar system), some people wonder how it will work used only for occasional backup power). That may all become clear in a year or towo.
    carlshome, I am surprised to see how much you get out of Honda 2000 portable. Good work! Unfortunately, we have electric water heating and stove. Wish we didn’t, but don’t want to tackle switching those over now. Still, what you’ve done with the Honda 2000 is tempting.
    tatonka, thank you for the intall figure. My panel and gas lines are on opposite sides of the cabin 🙁 so I’ll have to see which service would be easier to bring over to the generator.

tatonka
    Participant

The cost of the electrical box set up was around $1400.00. If you go stand by there could be other considerations such as running lines underground for electrical and propane lines. In this case a permit would undoubtedly be required. For my application there was no permit. If you have a gas stove and water heater your wattage requirements would less. I have both electric stove and electric water heater. I can shutdown the water heater if I don’t want it to kick on. Anything 220-230 volts would be tough on most portables. Mine can run about 8 hours on a full tank. I keep an extra 10 gallons of gas around and cycle into my truck about every 3 months.

carlshome
    Participant

In 16 years I have experienced three incidents where the power went out for 2-3 days. After the second incident I decided to buy something but struggled to figure out which approach would meet my needs. I ended up buying a Honda 2000W generator. Small sure, but what I really need is the fridge and a few lights. I have a gas stove, gas water heater and wood burning stove to keep us warm. These little Honda’s have an Eco setting where it adjusts the RPM based on demand. The one gallon tank will last 12-15 hours with a low use like a fridge and light. I keep three two-gallon containers of fuel so if I am totally snowed in I can last 3 1/2 days without going to the gas station (1 gallon of gas in generator + 6 gallons in containers = 7 gallons x 12 hours/gallon = 84 hours / 24 hours = 3.5 days). I just couldn’t justify a more expensive solution for a long outage that I’ve only faced three times in 16 years.

dbsynergy
    Participant

You might want to look into a Tesla Powerwall. I was looking at a standby generator but after looking at the powerwall I think I’m going that route instead. They are scheduled to start shipping next year and cost a little less.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

MileHigh
    Participant

grizcoach, if a generator is plumbed into your cabin’s propane tank, then I expect it could run for quite awhile. You’d probably need a permit for the propane connection, unless you have an existing valve to connect. And your propane supplier might want you to get a bigger tank.

Most portable generators seem to run on gasoline, and have a small tank for that purpose. I don’t think you could expect those to run more than 10-16 hours, even at the reduced load that you need for your furnace and fridge. Most of the Honda generators that are said to be big enough for that job can supposedly run for that long. We’re looking for something that can get us by for day or two if we are caught at the cabin during a power outage. We’re not too concerned about power when we’re gone.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by MileHigh.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.