Dorrington is a Mess

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Dorrington is a Mess

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    kenshawnewby
    Participant

Wow! I didn’t know that the storm had caused that much damage. I have a cabin at 2937 Kenshaw wy. Anybody know if there are any trees down or looks like there’s any damage to the house?

philhutch
    Participant

PGE texted me this evening at 7:48 to say “PG&E: Pwr restored in your area @7:21pm Mar 20 Still w/o pwr goto pge.com/outage”

I don’t know if that is true since I have no connection via internet to my house.

My place is on Chumash Circle

lostbruce
    Participant

We got out late Sunday morning after getting stuck, funny story for another time. As an “out of towner” I really appreciate the local businesses. While there are many great local businesses, in this context I highly recommend Sniders for driveway clearing and Sierra Sentry for property checks (i.e piece of mind).

Sandi was quick to get to our place and send us photos of how it weathered the storm. With the power out, I didn’t want to drive out, check on the place just to turn around and drive back. If you’re concerned about your place, she can help.

I hope I’m not breaking any forum rules by recommending local services. I hope everyone is doing well!

Logs
    Participant

I did get several PGE “updates” on my cell phone. Sorry, I would have posted them, but incorrectly figured others would get them, too. I will post all the future ones I get. The last one I got was yesterday, 350+ customers without power, restoring power due some time next week. Of course, I think even these have to be taken with a large grain of salt

sierra17
    Participant

Thanks for this update. I have signed up for text, email and phone call and have not received a single update and am not sure why this vital information is not posted on their outage map. The outage map simply states that there is no estimate for repair and the outage was caused by equipment failure. Again, not helpful if you are stuck in your cabin without electricity while all your food rots and wondering if you should vacate.

None of my neighbors in Big Trees were getting alerts either so clearly there is a fail with the alert system. Glad someone is getting the right communications. For those who are getting regular updates, would be great if you posted them on this site.

Logs
    Participant

Hi Carl, Thanks for giving this info. I am concerned because I have a cabin near where you mentioned. Could you either email me at Loshar@yahoo.com or call 510-220-7240 so I can get more info? I would appreciate it. Logs

carlshome
    Participant

I live near the intersection of the very end of Sierra Parkway and the very end of Indian Rock. Yesterday my AT&T land line began to work for the first time in days. So there is some progress. We took a walk in a loop up Sioux Trail, left on Kourac then down around on Easy Street. We saw 80-100 downed trees. And very sadly 8-10 homes hit by trees, several very severely. One home had a large tree rip off the entire eve off one side and smash into their deck. Another had what appeared to be the top of a tree piecing the roof of a garage like an arrow. We also saw six PG&E trucks working on the lines. BTW, the county did a spectacular job clearing the roads.

Dacmill
    Participant

I’ve been getting daily recorded calls from PGE and text updates since the power went out. I think the scale of the outage and the downed lines- many of which apparently aren’t accessible by roads (that aren’t plowed in many cases because of live power lines). I’ve been looking at the base cam at Bear Valley to at least enjoy the snow virtually!

gagacabin
    Participant

Good morning,
    I am not sure why or how, but I received a phone call on my cell phone about 2 nights ago.
    It was a recorded message that went something like this. “Due to the heavy snow loads and downed power poles, our crews have not been able to get to the area. Roads have not been plowed” The message also told me that they didn’t expect to have power back on until at least the end of next week.
    Sorry that you didn’t get that info sierra17.

sierra17
    Participant

I just left my cabin in Big Trees due to the power and internet being unavailable. Was hoping to self quarantine up there for the duration because I believe this is one of the safest places for some of us with health conditions. I learned today that repairs will not happen until late next week at best so came home.

A connected friend knows one of the foreman with PG&E regarding the outage. The storm knocked out over 100 power poles that they are trying to repair as quickly as possible. There are over 100 lineman up there. If anyone is up there you will see all manner of activity going on. This foreman indicated that repairs would extend into late next week.

That said, I am absolutely appalled by the lack of any useful information coming out of PG&E. Had PG&E kept me informed about the extent of the damage and lengthy repair time, I would not have spent 5 days without electricity or hot water hoping repairs would be eminent.

The PG&E outage map online gives no useful information whatsoever. Nothing that indicates how extensive the damage is or length of time for repairs. Even their “alert” system is not working. Only one neighbor of mine received any alert even though all of us signed up for it. I called PG&E and after about 30 minutes of trying to fool their online systems I actually spoke with a human. The only information she would provide me is that a single power pole was down and a single crew was on their way to repair it. It was her opinion that everything should be resolved within hours. WORDS FAIL ! !

Anyone who is considering going up to Big Trees should check to ensure power and hopefully Comcast is up an running prior to leaving. The PG&E crews are doing an amazing job…….the corporate leadership in informing their rate payers are an epic fail! Suggest everyone let them know!

Hopefully someone can respond to this thread as power and Comcast are operational again.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

In case you had not heard, Dorrington is a mess. Yesterday they prioritized getting power lines and poles out of the streets so the country could plow the roads. From here on they will be working on repairs to power, phone, and Comcast systems, all of which were severely damaged.
    We still have down power lines crossing our driveway as do many others.
    There is no estimate to restore power or other services but I’d be surprised if it didn’t take at least another week or more.
    Stay safe

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.