Woodpeckers

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Woodpeckers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    allen
    Participant

Interesting link:

http://birds.audubon.org/faq/why-woodpecker-damaging-my-house-and-how-do-i-stop-it

I’ve heard insects in walls can be a problem before I read this.

JoanTom
    Participant

We also had cement composite siding installed last August as none of the cheaper solutions worked. I believe the problem has now been solved. Justin Dollar’s crew did a great job.

Flyfishr
    Participant

We bought our place in ’89. There was a severe woodpecker problem. The previous owners put up owls on perches around the cabin, and nailed rubber alligators(!) around on the siding to try to discourage the birds. Still, every few months it was necessary to repair holes.
    It finally got to where the ‘peckers would make 3-4 inch nesting holes, and after they moved out the chipmunks and flying squirrels would move in. Problem was finally solved when we had the siding replaced with cement composite. Canton Construction did the work, and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

allen
    Participant

I don’t think the color has anything to do with the attraction of woodpeckers. Another friend of ours has a gray cabin and they have had issues with woodpeckers too. As far as I know, the only endangered species of woodpeckers is the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker which is in the southeastern states. However, I don’t shoot any birds, woodpeckers included.

1Buddy
    Participant

I like all your ideas. My house is not brown so I don’t have bird attack issues. Just please don’t do like my neighbor does and shot the woodpeckers. One or both species are endangered. Remember we moved into their neighborhood.

allen
    Participant

Our neighbor used to have a lot of woodpeckers. He used some netting and it works great. Seems the woodpeckers are afraid of it and stay away. His cabin is brown so you can’t even see the netting unless you are up close. If you want any info about the netting, pm me and I will give you his phone number.

thewineguyk2
    Participant

We bought a house a little over a year ago and I had a terrible time with the woodpeckers tearing up the side of the house. Many patched holes later I tried the spider with mixed results. Cds as well. Then I tried the holographic strips and have not had 1 hole in my siding in 6 months. I hang them about every 4 feet at 2-3 foot lengths.

itsleah
    Participant

We have a spider-works great!!
    We have a fishing line attached to it so we can lower it to the ground to change the batteries.

Leah

• This reply was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by itsleah.
    caleach
    Participant

I considered the attack spider but they are battery operated and the hanging point is so high up that the thought of having to go up to replace batteries is more times than I want to scale that ladder. It may come down to not having a choice, we’ll see.
    Steve

rswheeler1
    Participant

There is something called “Birds Away Attack Spider.” I think it’s activated by the sound of the bird. Check the web site at http://www.attackspider.com. Looks scary to me, but I haven’t tried it.
    Scott

caleach
    Participant

I’d like to give it a try.

How far down from the eave did you hand the disks?

Steve

KabinKennedy
    Participant

Steve.

We used to have a problem with woodpeckers, but we found a low-cost solution. Remember when AOL was giving away hand-fulls of disks. I tied a disk at each eave corner and have not had a pecker attack since (knock on wood)……

Kabin Kennedy

caleach
    Participant

When we were up over the holidays I filled in several woodpecker hole on two sides of the house. I also risked life and limb to hang some molar strips pretty high up.

Upon arriving tonight I find some new holes.

I have heard that they fake owls and spiders have some effect but you have to keep moving them because the birds get used to them.

I am not particularly proud of my repair work the last time but the two questions are:

1- what’s the best technique for keeping them away?

2- I would like to have someone professionally repair the damage that’s already been done, any recommendations?

Steve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.