Water Heater

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Water Heater

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    abicat
    Participant

Speaking of water heaters: Where/who would you recommend purchasing/installing a new water heater?

allen
    Participant

Ditto on the thermocouple. FYI, a thermocouple is a safety device that detects heat from the pilot light. In case the pilot light goes out, the gas supply will be shut off. On the other hand, a defective thermocouple will also shut off the gas supply once you quit holding the button down.

tatonka
    Participant

Agree with thermocoupler. Replaced one a couple of years ago. Not difficult. It would be amazing to know how many have panicked, run down to Lowes, Home Depot, or the local hardware store for a $400.00+ water heater, when a $12.00 thermocoupler would do. I was nearly one of them. Thank you Internet.

Mike
    Participant

Yes, sounds like the thermocouple. Sometimes the pilot flame doesn’t envelop the thermocouple enough to generate sufficient power to enable the pilot. Make sure that the pilot flame is properly aimed.

rswheeler1
    Participant

I agree with guyo.The pilot light sensor is easy to fix. I’ve done it 3 times.
    Hoopa Scott

guyo
    Participant

Sounds like a bad thermocouple. You can buy them at Ace Hardware in Arnold and replace yourself if you’re a little bit handy. You can probably find a video on youtube on how to do it.

LittleRed
    Participant

gjensen,
    Thank you. Just left a message for Bill.

gjensen
    Participant

Try Bill Slankard, Calaveras Climate Control 795-6006

LittleRed
    Participant

Hello,
    We arrived this evening to find the pilot light out on our water heater. It lights, but won’t stay lit. Ebbetts Gas can’t come by until some time on Monday. Any advice on who we might call to resolve this tomorrow (Saturday)?
    Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.