Still no AT&T phone

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Still no AT&T phone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nkruse
    Participant

IF you are thinking of getting ooma to save on your phone bill they are runnin a promotion now you can click the link below…
    “Give friends, and reward yourself with a $20 Amazon Gift Card when they purchase an Ooma Telo.”
    Ooma – https://refer.invite.oomamarketing.com/x/zqDD5k

nkruse
    Participant

One thing to add about my ISP/Ooma – is that AT&T provided a battery backup for my uverse modem so that when the power goes out, I still have internet

chainsawcindy1
    Participant

Since mid-December until first part of January we have had such bad feedback/static on our AT&T landline that I thought I needed to replace our phone. Could this be from the rain storms and the flooding? I called our cabin recently and got our recording, sounded clear but who knows what the real status is of the landline. I agree that anyone living full time needs an old phone that doesn’t require electricity to operate. We have a great retro desk dial phone that always works even when the power is out. It’s very handy when you want to call PG&E to see how long the outage will be or to report an outage…can’t do that with a cell phone.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

@nkruse
    Ooma is voice over internet just like Comcast, voyage, etc. It also requires AC power. I have a skype #, which is even cheaper than ooma which I can use in a pinch if we happen to have power and internet.
    With an old fashioned hard-wired princes touch tone phone, we almost always have phone service through ATT independent of power or internet status. As full time residents, that is important.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

@nkruse
    Ooma is voice over internet just like Comcast, voyage, etc. It also requires AC power. I have a skype #, which is even cheaper than ooma which I can use in a pinch if we happen to have power and internet.
    With an old fashioned hard-wired princes touch tone phone, we almost always have phone service through ATT independent of power or internet status. As full time residents, that is important.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Yay! We finally have our phone back!
    FYI, the reason we have ATT landline is because over the last 11 years ATT has been far more reliable than Comcast. All other alternatives to ATT that I am aware of rely on an internet connection which has been unavailable at least 10 times as frequently, and for much longer spans of time than ATT (except this recent incident).

nkruse
    Participant

Why pay $40 a month for your phone? I use Ooma it is much cheaper. You buy the Ooma Telo device one time and all you pay is taxes a fees monthly on your credit card after that.

Total taxes and fees for 95223 zip code is: $4.28 a month for your monthly phone bill.

The Ooma Telo device -( the device that you plug into your router) is $90 at Best Buy with free two day shipping.

If you want to use some fancy features you can subscribe to their premier service

Ooma will port your existing phone number or you can get a new one

Annual AT&T phone bill ($40 a month) – $480
    Annual Ooma phone bill – $51

Annual savings $428 by using Ooma instead of AT&T.

Installation is easy.

carlshome
    Participant

My AT&T land line died Jan 8th. I called them three times, each time expressing that I had no other way to communicate with the outside world. No internet, no cell coverage. And that I had to drive to get to a cell or available wifi. On my third call the AT&T rep said he put my house on a priority. The next day two AT&T guys show up at my cabin. I met and talked with them. Indirectly they said they were checking to see if I was actually at my cabin and commented they wanted to focus on full time residents, not part timers. They left, and an hour later one of the guys called and my phone was working. A lot of buzzing in the background but working.

So my suggestion is to call AT&T regularly, be polite, but express the difficulty of everyday life without a land line for weeks on end.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by carlshome.
    David4305
    Participant

Today they restored partial service to our cabin (down the street from you on Wikami). Now have a dial tone and a lot of static.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

We still don’t have AT&T dial tone 👎😡😤

David4305
    Participant

Up to the cabin today. No AT&T service on my side of Wikami (backs to Kenshaw). Neighbor across the street (backs to Siera Parkway) has service. Plow berms are still over six feet high.

Bootstrap
    Participant

…and don’t forget to call ATT (when you can) and ask for a prorated credit for the down time….that’s about $27 when you have a $40 monthly bill…

Dinner for two at the Lube Room, anyone ? 😉

I saw one of the AT&T guys in Chevron he said that man hole on the highway they are all parked around flooded. This storm was a bad one.

carlshome
    Participant

My land line has been dead since January 8th. Twenty days and counting. I’m near the end of Sierra Parkway and Indian Rock. This is my first significant outage in the 18 years up here. In the past I’ve only had a few brief outages, a day or two at most. In past big storms my power would be out from 3-5 days but the land line always worked. Not this time around. Sure wish Verizon would put a tower up to reach the lower sections of Big Trees. I’d dump that expensive land line like a brick.

I was however able to activate wifi calling on my cell phone and make wifi calls at the Lube Room. Clunky but it does work.

skipamy
    Participant

I called them yesterday, and they expected it to be repaired on Mon evening (Karock near Yuroc). Yes, first time it’s been out that long, and we’ve been in Big Trees for 29 years. You can call and check your number, it wasn’t too long a wait/ordeal.

So much for keeping the landline for emergency situations!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.