Septic tank pumping

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Septic tank pumping

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    allen
    Participant

@phabib – That sounds about right. Since access to ours is under ground, we’ll probably wait until it becomes a necessity and then have risers with lids put on at the same time we have it pumped.

phabib
    Participant

I read up on septic systems when I installed mine and what I learned was that the tank stratifies into 3 layers. The top layer is being worked on, the middle stuff has finished anaerobic digestion and moves into the second chamber of the tank in two chamber tanks, or into the leach field. The stuff that can’t be digested falls to the bottom and builds up.

When the build up gets to be too much, its time to pump it out and dispose of it.

In our case with a 1500 gallon tank the design life between pumpings was about 10 years.

You can probably extrapolate from there. The book mentioned that you could poke a stick into the muck and judge how thick the bottom layer is too, but I don’t remember how thick it was allowed to get.

Cathie
    Participant

Sweet Pea Septic is great: http://www.sweetpeaseptic.com

Also, every 5 years you should have your septic checked.

allen
    Participant

I don’t know how often you “should” have a septic pumped, but our cabin was built in ’73 and we had it pumped when we bought it in ’94. We are now full time and never had it pumped since ’94. Been told we should never need it pumped if we don’t abuse it. Don’t know if that’s true or not.

tortuga
    Participant

Downey Cooper is our poop place, too. The guy, I’d have to look up his name, was great to talk to about septic health, root maintenance, what should/shouldn’t go down, etc. He took his time to answer all my newbie questions.

skipamy
    Participant

I used Downey Cooper in Arnold (209) 795-0955 for some septic repair a few years ago and highly recommend them. They exceeded my expectations and I’m a picky person.

rswheeler1
    Participant

Last November I used El Dorado Septic out of Sonora. They charged $485 which included finding the septic tank. I didn’t know where it was. They charged $85 an hour to locate the tank. If you know where your tank is the cost could be just $400.

I thought the guy did a good job. He even hosed down the walls of the tank to remove additional sediment.
    Hoopa Circle Scott

SnowShoe
    Participant

How often should a septic system be inspected for a cabin with moderate use? Also, does anyone have recommendations/comments for companies to inspect/service/pump? Thanks.

caleach
    Participant

We have never looked into it but have been wondering lately how often is it recommended to have it pumped out? We built our place 11 years ago and it doesn’t get excessive use. Is there a rule of thumb for getting one serviced?

Steve

tortuga
    Participant

Late Summer 2013, $400 for our 1200 tank.

I was told that most of the cost is for hauling the waste to Oakland to treatment plant.

Dogwood
    Participant

Hello all, I got a quote to have solids removed from my septic tank 2 bath 3 bd room system for nearly 500 bucks. Does anyone know if that’s the norm or is there a better service, thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.