Septic tank maintenance

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Septic tank maintenance

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CCTommy
    Participant

Sorry, I hit submit too soon. If you have a pump system, the easiest way to treat for roots is by opening the access lid to the pump basin and adding the root killer there.

CCTommy
    Participant

Copper sulfate should not be used in a septic tank. It will kill the bacteria and enzymes that break down the waste. To effectively control roots in your leachfield you need to have a tight line (pipe between outlet of tank and leachfield) access. This is usually done by installing a cleanout in the tightline. If you don’t want to use copper sulfate (it’s extremely poisonous) rock salt is effective for root control if it is applied properly.

caleach
    Participant

Should I introduce this at the tank level or the leach line level. We have a pump up system. Would the copper sulfate fact the enzymatic process in the tank if introduced there? Are there any other consequences of using copper sulfate as far as any impact on any other trees on the property?

Thanks
    Steve

mtndad
    Participant

What you want to put in the septic is Copper Sulfate, available from the hardware store. This is should kill of any roots.

caleach
    Participant

Thanks for all the great input. I am going to do a more thorough inspection on my own before deciding to,have someone in. As I said, we have had trouble, just want to stay ahead of it. Will probably trim away any roots that may be attempting to infiltrate. I have also heard that rock salt in the leach lines helps stunt root creep into the lines.

Steve

mtndad
    Participant

$490.00 (one lid was uncovered)

Foothill Sanitary

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by mtndad.
    fishinfool
    Participant

Great post Scott, that’s what I like best about Joe’s website, dependable information. Mntdad, can you share the Foothill price with us? I honesty don’t know what a fair price would be for a septic service. It would be helpful to the rest of us to be able to compare prices as it sounds like both businesses did a satisfying job.

rswheeler1
    Participant

I used El Dorado Septic Service out of Sonora. Phone is 209-536-1925. The guy did a very thorough job. The tank had not been pumped in 25 years of part-time use. He said it was in great shape. I don’t have a garbage disposal, dish washer or clothes washer. Total cost was $485 and that included finding the septic tank and the lids.
    Scott

mtndad
    Participant

I just had Foothill Sanitary (Copperopolis) pump ours.
    Arrived as scheduled, Price was fair.

Foothill Sanitary
    209-785-6160
    https://www.foothillsanitary.com

You will save some money if you can expose the lids before arrival.

caleach
    Participant

I would like a recommendation for someone to come and inspect our septic tank and possibly empty it out. It is about 14 years old. Tu has never been serviced. This is a second home so doesn’t get heavy use.

Thanks

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.