Seal Redwood Deck

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Seal Redwood Deck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sierrashoo
    Participant

I used Defy Extreme on my redwood deck. First the cleaner/brightner, then the sealer. Very easy to apply and clean up. Deck looks great and very water repellent now.

jr.
    Participant

I painted by exposed, back deck, and I am happy with it. It seals and smooths out the deck. There are some expensive products at ACE that will actually bond with the wood and leave a powder coat finish, but that paint is expensive. I just used the store brand deck paint. Did the front stairs, too.

sspmoose
    Participant

Wow, that is NOT the answer I was expecting. But it makes sense, since none of the products I have used in the past have really thrilled me. Was kind of hoping there was a “new and improved” out there that people were happy with. Thanks! I’m going to ponder that.

carlshome
    Participant

I’ve had my cabin in Dorrington for 18 years now. Every two to three years I have cleaned and applied a couple different stain/sealant products. But no matter how carefully I prepare, following every recommended step, my deck’s appearance declines rapidly in a year or two. So after talking to a landscape architect, and reading many websites, I took a totally different tack two years ago. I sanded my deck smooth using the same equipment used for hardwood floors. I applied nothing. I am just letting it turn naturally gray. Two years later my bare deck looks good, not great. But it looks FAR better after two years compared to any of the stain/sealants that I have used previously. Time will tell, but for now I’m very pleased that I did not apply anything.

sspmoose
    Participant

It’s been way too long since I sanded and re-sealed my redwood deck. Going to try and tackle that job next week before the rains starts in earnest. What product are people using that holds up well? Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.