Recommendation for cabin close-downs

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Recommendation for cabin close-downs

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AZbunch
    Participant

Re: the washing machine and dishwasher…helpful info that was mailed to us some time ago from one of the real estate companies in town said to run both for 2 minutes after the water has been shut off. It will try to fill with no water and any water inside will be drained out…to me 2 minutes seemed like a very long time so I do it for about 1+ minutes…made me nervous running it dry for too long!! Have never had a problem…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by AZbunch.
    jsschmitz
    Participant

Don’t forget about your washing machine if you have one.

And one question on this and the dishwasher: don’t you have to run them for a bit to get the anti-freeze to where it needs to be? It doesn’t seem like it will get to the drain lines if you just dump some in them.

Worse, my high efficiency furnace technically needs to be blown out as it accumulates water from the 2nd level heat extraction. That’s too much bother – I’m just hoping it doesn’t totally freeze up…

thanks

tatonka
    Participant

We shut off water under the house, drain through outside spigot at lowest point. Install a Bayweb system to your furnace. (usually easy). Check your inside house temp via your phone or iPad. If temp drops to low, turn on furnace. Great to turn on a couple of yours before coming up in winter. Much easier than other mentioned gyrations.

Flyfishr
    Participant

If you plan to do it yourself, we do the following as shutdown procedure – we have followed this ritual for the last 25 years:
    Shut off water either at the shutoff valve or at the meter, then flush toilets to drain the tanks. Bail as much water as possible out of the bowl. Antifreeze in the tank and in the bowl about equal to the amount of water present. Antifreeze in all drains – about a cup or so per drain. Don’t forget the dishwasher if you have one.
    If no heat source is left on inside, do not leave anything in your freezer – especially ice cream. It will thaw out (trust me on this). We take the added precaution of draining the water heater. The inside of the cabin has been under 20 degrees at times in past winters.
    There is eco-friendly antifreeze available that won’t harm septic tanks. Check RV supply places or the hardware store in Arnold.

bonniehelmick
    Participant

Sandi is absolutely awesome! I’ve lost track of the number of times she has “saved” us, and kept us from having to make a 4-hour round trip to the cabin. I would highly recommend her to anyone!

gagacabin
    Participant

We have been using Sandi’s services since we got our cabin. Very reliable. I highly recommend.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Give Sandi of Sierra Sentry a call.

https://sierrasentry.com/
    Mountain Home Watch Services

P.O. Box 4373
    Camp Connell, CA 95223-4373

Sandi Pearce
    email: sandi@sierrasentry.com
    phone: 209/795-7618
    mobile: 209/595-9562

abicat
    Participant

Does anyone have a recommendation for a person that might do a cabin-closing (drain pipes for winter)?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.