Probable Coyote Attack

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Probable Coyote Attack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    allen
    Participant

Sometimes I think it might be better to just feed the coyotes and that way they won’t be hungry enough to eat a small animal! 🙂

sspmoose
    Participant

It’s my understanding that it can be used on all dogs however I have seen operator injury result it was attached to my neighbor’s Great Dane.

allen
    Participant

Lostbruce, is this some kind of tracking collar? I have a Sport Dog GPS collar for one of my big dogs, but my wife has two small dogs (about 7 1/2 pounds each). Will this high tech gadget work on small dogs?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by allen.
    lostbruce
    Participant

There is a new high tech gadget that helps dog owners keep track and control their dogs so that the dogs, the owners and local widllife don’t get hurt. It’s called a “Leash”, prounounced “L-E-A-S-H”. Let me know if you need a demonstration.

Flyfishr
    Participant

Recent article on Gizmodo on coyote safety:
    http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/how-to-keep-your-pets-safe-from-coyotes-1586728445/+barrett

Coyotes are like scary intelligent. They will often prey on dogs by one member of a pack luring a dog to chase it, then it will lead the dog to the rest of the pack.
    They were very active in the area during the drought of the late 80s to early 90s. A number of times I would encounter cat (and once dog) parts in the open area behind my cabin near the park. With the current drought I expect more will be moving into developed areas in search of food and water, so be sure not to leave either out.

allen
    Participant

This morning (Thursday) my dogs tried to attack a coyote pup on Hokan Circle. I run them around the circle in the mornings with my scooter. They are large dogs so I’m not worried about them being attacked, but this morning I heard a very loud squealing and spotted a coyote. I’m pretty sure it’s the same one with the pups that was near Highway 4 on Ottawa a month or so ago.

One of my dogs wears a GPS collar and both dogs usually stick together. I found both of them attacking a coyote pup and the mother coyote was whaling away. I managed to get my dogs away from the pup long enough for it to run into a culvert.

So if you are near Hokan Circle, I would suggest being careful with small dogs or cats. The coyote didn’t seem aggressive, but rather protecting its pups.

Attached is a map of Hokan Circle and the area where I saw the mother coyote and the area where my dogs tried to attack the pup. PLEASE remember these coyotes are in their natural habitat and should NOT be harmed.

Attachments:
    allen
    Participant

There seems to be more coyotes this year than usual. Several people have seen the coyote and its pups on Ottawa near Highway 4, my wife and I have both seen one on Hokan Circle and another one on Jibway. They don’t look aggressive, but I certainly wouldn’t let a small dog outside by itself. Glad to hear the little dog will be fine. And thanks for the heads up.

Bootstrap
    Participant

We were up last weekend and our neighbor took his small dog out about 10:30pm on El Camino Bootstrap. The dog stepped off the deck just out of sight of my neighbor to do his thing. Some “thing” bit down on the little guy right between his shoulders and he let out a scream that could break glass. Everyone immediately came out of both cabins and the dog managed to break loose and sprinted back up the deck stairs and into the house, still screaming. A quick search of the are turn up no wild beast.

A late night visit to the vet revealed a deep puncture wound that missed his lung by 1/4 of an inch. There were also abrasions opposite the wound that indicated a large bite pattern. We are certainly all glad that he will make a complete recovery.

So, just wanted to give a heads up to those with pets ….be extremely aware of what might be lurking near your cabin. In my 23 years of coming up to Snowshoe Springs, I have never experienced this close of an encounter. I take my small dog out on a leash in the same area every night, so I will definitely be on guard from now on.

It’s just a reminder that our homes up here are truly “in the wild” which existed long before us and demands our respect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.