Old Boards Crossing

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Old Boards Crossing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jebediah jake
    Participant

Thanks for checking that out

allen
    Participant

Says it’s available at the main library in Sonora:

http://tinyurl.com/k7a7uzs

jebediah jake
    Participant

Got it.I will see if I can locate it at the libraries. If so I will repost in case anyone else is interested.

vnj
    Participant

I don’t know if this is still good info, but this was posted by Allen in 2011

Re: Boards Crossing
    « Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »

I did some checking and the book was written by Mari Lee Renna. I couldn’t find anywhere to buy the book (although a lot have similar titles and one has the same title) but it’s supposed to be available at the Tuolumne County Library in Sonora, CA.

It’s also supposed to be available at the University of the Pacific William Knox Holt Memorial Library in Stockton.

Similar time frame posted by Woodboatguy —-
    Re: Boards Crossing
    « Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »

I know the library at Bear Valley has a copy of “River Memories”. I won a copy at a historical society meeting several years ago and donated it to the library after I read it. Perhaps the library in Arnold has it also.

jebediah jake
    Participant

Many thanks for all the information, If anyone hears about how to find a copy of River Memories I would love to read it.

allen
    Participant

There was a “committee” of women that put together “River Memories.” At the beginning of the book it says:

The River Book Committee:

Jan (Renna) Caster
    Roxanne (Risden) Desanto
    Cathy (Richards) Garthwaite
    Lorri (Eastman) Hulsenburg
    Kristi (Emmrich) Larrance
    Diann (Hicks) Neilson
    Mari Lee Renna

Copywright 1998
    River Memories – Board’s Crossing, CA
    All Rights Reserved

I’m sure there were only a few printed but there are some floating around in the Camp Connell, Dorrington and Arnold area.

allen
    Participant

Yes, the book you are looking for is “River Memories.” Many of the people that owned “camps” at Boards Crossing wrote “memories” about the river and Boards Crossing and someone compiled a book. I don’t recall the name of the person that compiled it but might be able to find out. I don’t think it was ever “published” except for local people, probably those that lived or owned camps at Boards Crossing.

The other book is “Traveler of the Crossroads; The Life of Adventurer Nicol Smith” as someone already mentioned. Boards Crossing was Nicol’s summer retreat and he sold much of the land to campers, hence the name “camps.” The large cabin and guest house next to the river was Nicol’s.

Nicol Smith was born on Jan 10, 1910 and died on May 18, 1995.

woodboatguy
    Participant

I believe the name of that book is “River Memories”. I had a copy, but donated it to the Bear Valley Library.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

But, there is another book, I believe it was personally published, that focused much more on the local area. I don’t recall the title but I do not believe it is available on the open market.

Snowshoe1958
    Participant

I bought the book awhile ago, very interesting man.
    Check Amazon
    Traveler of the Crossroads; The Life of Adventurer Nicol Smith

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

I believe the name is Francis Nicol Smith, often going by Niclol Smith.

jebediah jake
    Participant

Does anyone remember the name of the book that recorded this history of the family and ownership of the camps around Old Boards Crossing, and the name of family?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.