New device working great!

Home Forums BigTrees Talk New device working great!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Currently the Y axis is millimeters. There are 25.4 mm per inch.
    Eventually I plan to convert everything to inches but it’s not a simple fix.

yvonne
    Participant

Great to see the snow depth charts. It was clear the horizontal axis was time but until I read this forum it was unclear what the Y axis was measuring. It looks like mm. any way to add the labels to the charts? Thanks for the consideration!!

mr ellis
    Participant

It’s sure good to have the new capability but I see from afar that there has been virtually “no winter” in the hills.
    What’s the generally chatter there about the weather and the general “wetness” perception this season so far?

Joe thank you for all your hard work!
    The Snider Family

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

fyi, you’ll see some “blips” in the snow depth readings from time to time where it appears that the depth suddenly gets significantly lower. I’ve determined that the cause is “snow bombs” falling from either nearby trees or from the arm that supports the sensor into the sensor’s field of view. These “snow bombs” create a temporary divot in the snow. The sensor reads back the longest distance measured in its field of view so you suddenly see the depth to the bottom of the new divot rather than the surrounding area. The effect is currently exaggerated because the measurements are being displayed in mm so a 1 inch divot results in snow depth decreased by over 25 mm.
    I can’t do anything about the effect of “snow bombs” on the measurements but once I convert to inches and round to the nearest inch, we should not see quite so dramatic a change when they occur.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Thanks!
    I was going to try to get the conversion to inches done this past week but discovered that I had not set up the raspberry pi VNC servers for remote “cloud” access. So, rather than spending a few hours sorting out how to do the database conversion I was forced to take walks, bike rides, and sight seeing tours on Maui while visiting family instead 🙂
    I may try to make the conversion this weekend and then integrate the snow depth data into the front page of BigTreesTech.
    I am pretty pleased with how incredibly accurate the measurements seem to be! When you look at the graph, you can see the effect of snow compressing over time.

David4305
    Participant

Hi Joe- your new snow measuring device is working great. I have a similar reading on my old school set up (snow pole with remote HD camera). Thank you for all you do! Knowing what we are getting in to before driving up the hill is a big deal for many of us.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.