Long-term cabin rental rates in BTV?

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Long-term cabin rental rates in BTV?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MileHigh
    Participant

Thanks. Bigtreestechman, we haven’t contacted local realtors because we didn’t plan to rent through them, although I suppose that could change. (I didn’t understand the rest of your post about rental rates being “much higher” here. I suspect that monthly rents under, say, a 1-year lease are actually lower in BTV, but again, I’m just guessing so far.) Zillow, which is pretty accurate for rental estimates in the Bay Area, shows a $1,800/mo rental estimate for our cabin, which seems too high for this market (to me, at least).
    Tortuga, the $1,200/mo figure you paid seems more in the ballpark, although that was for a winter lease, which we wouldn’t do. FWIW, friends with a place in Tahoe have done a winter lease for years, and told me that it is at a higher monthly rate than they would get renting year-round to local tenants. I can’t see why BTV would be different, but again, I’m just trying to get more informed.

tortuga
    Participant

Before buying, we did 16-week winter leases. This was ~5-7 years ago. We paid ~$1200/month plus propane, plow, and any PG&E over $60/m (none). Water, firewood, and phone/internet were all included, paid by owner, one place had cable TV included (we don’t watch). The agent did the cabin open/close for winter safety. In one cabin we could have done the draining, it was simple. The other cabin draining process was complicated and, if I was the owner, would not have wanted to leave it to a renter. We, or our approved friends, were up almost every weekend of those 16 weeks so the cabin was regularly used which would mean more utility cost for the owner than a vacant cabin. One was a 3/2, the other 4/2.

We’ve known a few others to do a winter lease (one was a share with the owner taking one weekend a month) and there was recently a post on ND looking for a month+ summer lease.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

why don’t you contact many of the local realtors? Most of the cabins up here are 2nd homes and/or short term vacation rentals. It’s not surprising to me that the rental rate would be much higher than in areas where there are apartments and homes for long term rent aplenty.

MileHigh
    Participant

We are thinking of renting out our cabin in BTV for the next couple of years, until we are ready to use it more. Does anyone know of a source for long-term rental rates that would be applicable to BTV? Very few rentals are listed w local real estate firms, and I’m not finding much elsewhere on the internet. (Suggested rents on Zillow seem high.)
    We have a 3bf 2ba cabin with bonus room and over-sized garage, on a flat lot. Our priority is finding responsible, self-reliant tenant(s), rather than getting a top-dollar rate. (Maybe BTV isn’t a popular choice for people with regular jobs who have to commute in the winter time?)
    Any suggestions?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by MileHigh.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.