Hot Tub feasability – advice needed from locals

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Hot Tub feasability – advice needed from locals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sspmoose
    Participant

I don’t have a hot tub but my neighbor recently put one in. It is noisy when it runs. I love the silence of the mountains but when it kicks on the sound carries for a long way.

caleach
    Participant

Bill and Barbera have always been top notch in our book. We’ve had a couple of problems but were covered by warranty, no questions asked. They are ready willing and quick to make house calls if you think something is not right.

Boater
    Participant

I purchased a Hot Springs spa from High Country in Arnold 10 years ago. I have had zero problems with it. This unit does not require harsh chemicals due to a 24 hour recirculation system. The water is always clear with no smell.I am a part timer and turn down temperature when I leave. Bill and Barbara at High Country are long time residents and always ready to assist. I highly recommend talking with them

Tony
    Participant

I called Hibernation – They were very helpful.

Thank you.

Tony
    Participant

Thanks very much!

My deck will support the weigh and I’ll contact Hibernation.

Not sure I’d be able to keep it at 65 degrees minimum when I’m not there for weeks at time. Is that what you do even when you are gone for extended periods?

buckgoody
    Participant

We bought our cabin and it already had a good quality hot tub installed on the deck. I would say:
    – A hot tub filled with water is very heavy. Our deck was custom built for it; you really need to make sure your deck can support it.
    – You can never leave it shut off. Ours has a daily 30 minute cycle for filtering.
    – It heats up about 5 degrees per hour. The minimum temp setting on my unit is 65 degrees. So it takes about 7 hours to heat up.
    – Maintenance is easy. During periods of use, I check and add chlorine every day. I have to add water every 2 months or so (about 1 inch, due to evaporation). About every 3-4 months, I drain it and replace the water. That’s it.
    – Make sure you get a well insulated unit and cover.
    – Purchase it locally. I have had great service with Hibernation in Arnold. In my 5 years of experience, they fixed a faulty flow sensor and repaired a minor leak.
    – Electricity costs are hard to estimate. I would guess that the tub costs $20 to $40 per month to operate.

Tony
    Participant

Thinking about putting in a new 6-person/300 GAL, 4kW hot tub on my deck. 230v wiring is already run. Would be using on ski weekends and also in summer at night. I would ideally pre-heat remotely before heading up for long weekends,etc and then keep it hot. When leaving house for extended periods I’d just turn it off?

Anyone have any comments on the reality of having a hot tub for a vacation home up in the Arnold area?

Some generic questions:
    – How long to heat from non-use state in winter (35 degrees to 102 F?)?
    – Are electricity costs crazy high?
    – How much yearly maintenance ?
    – any concerns (temp) with it exposed on the deck in winter?

Thanks in advance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.