electrically actuated water valves

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance electrically actuated water valves

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Dogwood
    Participant

Bob that’s typical for the actuator to be slow. The valworx is also slow, takes mine about the same time. I think it’s because the motors are geared for torque to push against the incoming pressure from the utility.

The best part is the convenience. That will pay for itself for years to come.

Bob
    Participant

Installed two new ball valves along with the Econet valve robot. Installation was simple and the Econet robot operates the valves with no problem. They move a bit slow, but that’s fine. I think the Econet site states it can take 18 seconds to finish the cycle, but believe it’s shorter than that. I would guess not as robust as the Valworx option, but I like the idea of operating remotely (although my Xfifnity modem is currently failing!). I’ll post again if the product does not last long term.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Bob.
    Dogwood
    Participant

I am also super pleased with my valworx valve. It was great advice in this thread from jsschmitz. It has been reliable and convenient. I think the ultimate setup we discussed is a three way with it going to an external drain. Not only water off but system drained.

My latest upgrade was to a rinnai tankless to replace the original electric tank from 1966. The rinnai so far has been excellent. We do have hard water, but the rinnai has internal sensors and will display and error code when it’s time to flush it with vinegar. Also these newer tankless have internal heaters to protect themselves from freezing on or off. I need to find a ups to keep a few days power and I am good.

I am happy to donate my used eco net to another owner just let me know.

jsschmitz
    Participant

I’m extremely pleased with the Valworx motorized ball valve I put in. I’ve had 4 years with absolutely no problem with it. Like some of the others I didn’t have a place to put a mechanical linkage so an electrical valve made sense. Only once has the power been off when I wanted to operate it, and that was no big deal to use the manual bypass on it. Otherwise I just flip the switch to turn the water off or on. I wouldn’t hesitate to put in another. I hope the Econet works well for you.

Bob
    Participant

Hey Dogwood, thanks for the update. I did end up purchasing the Econet, they should arrive soon. For several reasons (age, spacing & missing handles!) I am having two new ball valves installed which takes care of one issue. My placement should be good, so as long as the Econet product is decent I’m good to go. Fingers crossed I won’t be crawling into the back corner under the house this winter.

Dogwood
    Participant

I ended up removing the eco net and took the hit and bought a motorized electric valve that runs off of 120 volts and put the switch inside the cabin. It was $300 bucks but it is super convenient. My problem with the Eco net was that my main ball valve was super hard to turn and was really old. The Eco net struggled to close the valve all the way and the connection via z wave wasn’t stable. So it made sense to replace the whole setup. I have a 4 foot tall crawl space and locating the valve somewhere to turn manual was not an option. You want to make sure the main is right where the water enters your building with the least possibility for freezing.

Bob
    Participant

I am finally getting around to putting in wifi controlled valves. Looking at the Econet IV valve and wondering if anyone has a long term review of the Econet product. Thanks for any guidance.

grizcoach
    Participant

“Since i now have home automation hub I am going to add a few lightbulbs”……and a wifi thermostat. It’s really nice to have the heat on when you walk into the cabin. I turn mine on when I hit Stockton

fireman
    Participant

I had the same problem with having to go outside in the mud to shut and drain the water system. I just moved the main shut-off and drain valves to a closet area and cut a 1’x2′ access hole. I extended the valve shafts with 3/8″ rod so the hand wheels were just below access door. I’m sure Danny at Saul can help out.

Dogwood
    Participant

Hello all. It has been a few months with the econnet electric valve. I am pretty pleased with it. It only works if you have a ball valve. It took some homework and about total 2 hours to install but it sure is nice to press a button on my phone to open and close the water valve. Way better than late night arrivals in the cold going into the crawl space. Since i now have home automation hub I am going to add a few lightbulbs. Happy holidays.

Dogwood
    Participant

My econcontrol valve actuator arrived today. It is nicely made. To make it work you have to have a home automation hub that works on z-wave. I am going to buy a hub from Amazon for $45 bucks. So far total investment will be $175 but then it will be great to shut off the water with my iPhone from the cabin or anywhere there is wifi. I will let you know how the install goes.

grizcoach
    Participant

Dogwood we’ll be up Monday afternoon. If you want to see the setup, you can come by. If you’re interested, call 795-7659.

Dogwood
    Participant

By the way I have had a good experience with Russell too.

Dogwood
    Participant

I am going to try the eco net valve. thanks for the research on the various options. I agree the best way is a hard line system by a plumber but for my setup a electric motor actuator would work the best. I will let you know how the install goes.

grizcoach
    Participant

We had the same problem at our house in Arnold. To turn the valve, you had to go under the house. Russell Peffer designed a system that placed an extension from the valve thru the wall of the foundation. I then cut a hole in the deck and made a trap door. Then I could turn the valve from right by my front door.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.