Electric Service Wire and Tree

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Electric Service Wire and Tree

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    carlshome
    Participant

The Bay Area may be different than in the mountains. But my close friend had his drop line from the pole to his house replaced by PG&E for free when the line was rubbing against a tree. In his case the insulation was totally worn away!

Best of luck.

SnowShoe
    Participant

Thanks all. The line is touching a tree on the way to the cabin. Many, many years ago a PG&E rep mentioned we are responsible for all wires from the pole to the house. Their website seems to indicate this as well, although probably worth a try to check in with them. If my responsibility, any electrician recommendations?

Logs
    Participant

I’m not sure if you are saying that your line is connected to a tree and then rerouted to your exterior wall, or if a tree is touching the service line on its way from the main power pole at the street directly to your house. If it is the former, allegedly PG&E is in the process of removing all tree supports and putting a service pole on the customer’s property to make sure tree branches don’t interfere. They started this program about 2 years ago, and it is moving slowly, even for PG&E. They cut down about 3 trees and trimmed numerous branches on my property to get ready to put in the pole and re-route the service line in 2019, and then stopped, but I’m told they will complete the job at some point. If it is the latter, when you call (which you should definitely do) they will likely tell you that it is the customer’s responsibility to trim trees that may be in the way, but I wouldn’t believe that, and would still ask for “Vegetation Management” to call you back, and ask for an on-site review.

carlshome
    Participant

As it is PG&E’s drop line from the pole to your house, I suggest you call PG&E. This has the possibility of being quite a hazard if the insulation on the wires wears through from rubbing on the tree.

SnowShoe
    Participant

My electric service wire from the PG&E power pole to our cabin is in contact with a tree. I don’t want to remove the tree so it appears my options are separating the wire and tree with an insulator, or moving where the wire attaches to the cabin about a foot. Anyone have a similar experience and thoughts, and an electrical contractor recommendation?

And, thank you Big Trees Tech for maintaining this site. I really appreciate it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.