covering crawl space vents in winter?

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance covering crawl space vents in winter?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    allen
    Participant

A friend of ours covered their vents. Once the water heater sprung a very small misty leak and the entire basement was moldy. However, after running a fan 24/7 for a few weeks the following summer everything was OK.

Honestly I think the vents are put there just so the green wood can dry when a cabin or home is new.

rswheeler1
    Participant

My brother in law lives in Redmond, OR, and he covers his vents in the winter. Most people in the area do it. It’s supposed to help keep the pipes from freezing. I’ve never done it at my place in BTV.

The only problem I can see if you cover the vents is the possibility of mold developing because of moisture.
    Scott

cougre
    Participant

I was told that it is acceptable to cover foundation vents in the winter to conserve heat, as long as you remember to open them up when it gets warm. They even make a foundation vent that automatically opens and closes according to the temp.

jsschmitz
    Participant

Is it a good idea to cover the crawl space vents in winter in order to keep the area warmer and reduce the chance of pipes freezing? I’ve seen some neighbors do this, but I am concerned that there may be an issue with proper venting for the furnace and the water heater. Do you know of any reasons to cover the vents or to not cover them in winter?

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.