Cars and snow

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Cars and snow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Skip
    Participant

Have not had use them yet. we got them as a backup. If the forecast is snow, we take my Jeep. I had talked to enough people who had that it was worth the purchase.

BTVguy
    Participant

I purchased a second set of wheels for our SUV and installed true snow tires on them (Bridgestone Blizzaks). We swap the wheels with the snow tires in the winter. True snow tires make a big difference. I think most Snow rated (M&S) don’t work nearly as well as true snow tires.

Shoshone Dave
    Participant

I am on my seventh Subaru and to date, have never had to put on chains although I always carry them (cables). I have only been stuck once, but that was operator error when I lived at 8000′ and felt that I didn’t need to wait for the grader to make his second pass on the short hill leading up to my house.

My current Subaru is a 2014 Outback that I like a lot – of course I haven’t put it through the motions yet due to the drought conditions, but what I have had it in it has performed as expected. The stock Continental tires are a cause for concern though. The rubber compound is rather hard and you have to watch it a little on ice.

jsschmitz
    Participant

I’ve been tempted to get a second set of wheels with true snow tires for winter use but it is an expensive addition. If you are in the mountains for a significant amount of time, I think that’s the only way to go. For part time use, this gets questionable, but I believe there is a fairly significant difference between all season tires and true snow tires or studded tires even with AWD. The people who easily get through the tough conditions are on these tires. Our Subaru was worthless in bad conditions on Donner Pass with standard all season tires – couldn’t keep it on the road. Definitely kept cable chains in it after that experience.

Dacmill
    Participant

Hi- we had spiders for our 2WD Honda Odyssey and I can’t recommend them highly enough. For us, they got us through some pretty nasty snow with no problems at all. But the main advantage to me is the ease of installation- it just takes seconds and it’s very simple. Putting on chains is such a pain that if you’re only driving through a *little* snow or ice, and you know the roads are clear after, it’s too easy to skip it and drive without them- and that’s when the problems start. Spiders are so easy to get on/off that this risk is really eliminated. We used ours through several winters with lots of snow driving till we literally wore them out. We’ve since sold the car and now have AWD (we also carry chains as required, but have had to put them on only once). But for my money, the $300 that spiders can cost are worth every penny.

bjh
    Participant

We have cables for the Toyota matrix. Easier to install than chains but not as much traction. Got bogged down in heavier snow once with them, but its not a very heavy or powerful vehicle. The Spike Spiders look neat and easy, but pricy. How often have you had to use them and what kind of car are they on? Generally its been an issue of getting up the hill to the highway and maybe a few more miles. Then take them off.

Skip
    Participant

I have set of Spike Spiders for my wife’s car. Expensive but they are designed to only go around the outside of the tire/wheel on cars with little clearance.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Skip.
    mtndad
    Participant

You must carry chains, there are cables that are thinner than the standard chains and will work on a Subaru.
    We have had 6 Subarus and only had to put on chains once (should of stayed home).
    Enjoy the new car.

Granite
    Participant

In reading the hand book on our 2011 Outback they recomend not using traction devices.I do carry cables to comply with CHP rules, however if the road conditions are so bad that I felt I needed them I would stay home if at all posibale. The electronic controls on these cars really do a good job in the snow. I think in time you will be pleased with the winter performance.

bjh
    Participant

Just bought a 2015 Subaru Outback. So of course has all-wheel drive. Any comments or suggestions on usage during the winter. Should I have traction device such as cables. Doesn’t look like there is a lot of clearance for them. Should I be able to get by without them. Are there any alternatives. What is the experience with stock all-weather tires. I know Subaru is pretty popular around here, so there should be some good advice out there.

I had chains for my previous rear-wheel two-wheel drive truck and that would churn through just about anything. But it was a big hassle. Hoping that this new ride will be a lot more convenient!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.