Building permit?

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Building permit?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, I sure got a lot of mileage out of that question..
    Thanks to all of you…  😮
    Linda

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    They should fire the Architect for a poor design…they met the code but created a new hazard.  Isn't EMT for indoor use only…..and for electrical work, not decks… ???

The "code" is really the "California Building Code," not a county code.  Applies to the entire State of California… take it up with Sacramento, not San Andreas… ;)

EMT is for outdoor use. I believe you are mistaken about county building codes vs. state building codes. I believe county building codes meet the minimum state building codes and then some. City building codes generally are more strict than county building codes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not really complaining; just making a comment about the 4 inch sphere code posted by jgdollar.

BTW, Calaveras Building Code:
    http://www.co.calaveras.ca.us/cc/Portals/0/Dept/Building/Pub/FormsDocs/Building_Specs/Deck_Plan.pdf

Anonymous
    Inactive

They should fire the Architect for a poor design…they met the code but created a new hazard.  Isn't EMT for indoor use only…..and for electrical work, not decks… ???

The "code" is really the "California Building Code," not a county code.  Applies to the entire State of California… take it up with Sacramento, not San Andreas… ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    The county has changed  rules in the last few years regarding decks and structural repairs.  Only the decking can be replaced without a permit.  Any railings require a permit and if 50% are replaced the railing must be 42" high and a sphere 4" in diameter cannot pass through any part of the railing assembly.  ANY structural work or repairs require both permits and engineering.  Any structural work on the house even replacing existing materials will also require a permit and an engineer.  In the past a deck under 30" from the ground did not require a permit.  This has also changed but you would have to consult the building dept for exact rules as size and if detached or attached affects determination.  Justin

J.G. Dollar & Associates Inc.
    jgdollar@yahoo.com
      209 795-5191

The railing laws show how stupid the county is. Our friends added an addition and also a new deck a couple of years ago, both with permits. The 4" sphere law is stupid if the railings can run horizontally. Our friends used EMT (metal conduit) running horizontally between the posts. The EMT is large, probably 1 1/2 or 2 inches diameter so it's plenty strong. A 4" sphere won't fit between the horizontal EMT. However, is there anything more tempting for a kid than climbing a ladder (the EMT railings)?  😮

Anonymous
    Inactive

The county has changed  rules in the last few years regarding decks and structural repairs.  Only the decking can be replaced without a permit.  Any railings require a permit and if 50% are replaced the railing must be 42" high and a sphere 4" in diameter cannot pass through any part of the railing assembly.  ANY structural work or repairs require both permits and engineering.  Any structural work on the house even replacing existing materials will also require a permit and an engineer.  In the past a deck under 30" from the ground did not require a permit.  This has also changed but you would have to consult the building dept for exact rules as size and if detached or attached affects determination.  Justin

J.G. Dollar & Associates Inc.
    jgdollar@yahoo.com
      209 795-5191

Anonymous
    Inactive

Allen,

Thanks for the tip and I would like to stay in touch.  Can you email me your contact information?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some thing must be taking up to the new code, but for small repairs the answer is no.

Call me if your unsure and I can get you going the right way…………

Allen Shaw Construction……

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think I was a little too naive about the need for a permit.  i suppose I should call them in ans ask to check it out and hope that they can permit it in retrospect.

.the piece we added is just about at ground level with what i was told was the required amount of clearance ensured below the joists.  The Spa was installed by a Professional and  should be fine.

You've given me things to follow up on though.

Thanks,
    Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

Even for a deck "repair" you should check with the county building department.
    If the deck collapsed because snow slid off the roof and sheered it off, would that be considered a "repair"?

Extending a deck and adding a hot tub on top of it…that's a real heavy load…check with the county.

IF your deck is more than 20 years old, you'll need to reduce the maximum railing opening to 4 inches so that a child doesn't accidentally hang themselves….a bit morbid, but that's why the code changed from 9" to 6" then to the current 4".

Other critical factors are how high off the ground the deck is, how it is attached to the house, and if the members are pressure treated.  Deck railing height has increase from 36" (old) to the current 42".

Bottom line, check with the county in any case…they will actually make sure you build it up to code and that it safe for your family and friends. ….oh, and your insurance company will certainly want to know if you took out permits, if there is ever an accident claim.  Best Wishes!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    We extended our side deck around to the back so that we could add a hot tup and don't think we needed a permit for the decking.  It all ties in together so our assumption was that it was an extension of the existing deck.  We are also thinking of adding even more going off of one of the sides in the back so hearing that extensions of an existing structure don't need permitting is good news.

Steve

Steve, I missed the part stating that extensions of existing decks don't need permits. Did the county state that? I always assumed that any new construction required a permit, and that part of that permit process was a plan review to determine both safety and code compliance. I would hate to see a "under the radar" non-permitted project result in injury. My apologies if I'm off base here.
    Larry

Anonymous
    Inactive

We extended our side deck around to the back so that we could add a hot tup and don't think we needed a permit for the decking.  It all ties in together so our assumption was that it was an extension of the existing deck.  We are also thinking of adding even more going off of one of the sides in the back so hearing that extensions of an existing structure don't need permitting is good news.

Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

HI Allen, Thanks for the info.  It sounds like my husband now wants to wait until spring for this project.  I would like your phone number to call you later in the year about this.
    Linda

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you are just repairing the existing deck no.  But for adding a new deck yes. I can help you with plans and permits if you like. I am a local contractor with 30 years in the trades.
    Email me if you'd like to chat.  Allen

Anonymous
    Inactive

We would like to add a deck to our cabin on Shoshone, do we need a building permit?
    ::)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.