BigTreesTech Next Iteration

Home Forums BigTrees Talk BigTreesTech Next Iteration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

So, here are my current thoughts…
    I would like to hear what you think.

1) Add a Video Gallery page where new videos will be added and will be more accessible than by just putting one at a time on the front page.
    1a) Maybe add a photo gallery page too???

2) Change the main theme of the site to something that does not have the fixed width content section like the one I use now (the current theme is obsolete anyway).

3) Put Road Conditions, Forecast, Detailed Weather, and Snow Depth under a top “Local Info” menu item.

4) Revamp the way weather data, and graphs are displayed on the front page… Maybe take the graphs off the front page altogether… your thoughts?

5) Add social network functionality, like the ability for members to message one another, create groups, events, etc. This is a BIG change and I don’t know how smoothly it will go.

6) Either fix or eliminate the 2nd PTZ camera photos from the slides shown on the front page.

7) Get rid of the business directory.

This process may effect many things. The farthest reaching changes will come when I add the social network functionality. It may result in loss of forum data or the ability to search old forum posts. It could also result in members having to re-register. I just won’t know what all the effects might be until I make the change.

Without doubt, some of these changes will require down time so I probably won’t start until mid May, when the threat of significant weather is less likely.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Regarding the Forecast location…
    If you click on the Forecast link at the top of the page it will take you to the National Weather Service forecast for Dorrington. If you scroll down on their page, you will see and interactive map. With their map, you can scroll,and zoom to any US location you like and it will bring up the forecast for that location.

Here’s the link that the Forecast menu item uses:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=38.30&textField2=-120.28#.XJVBt9F7k9t

mhjohn2
    Participant

It would be neat to be able to have links to BTV homeowners exterior nest or ring cameras that neighbors would let post to see the snow berm heights and street views

gagacabin
    Participant

Thanks for that info Kuma. I did not know that. I was not able to find Camp Connell on there though. It would put me at Cottage (stuc. 1) Am I doing something wrong?

Kuma
    Participant

Caleach, all you need to due to get your forecast is move your mouse over the map were you live and click. My place is more in Arnold so I look all the time.

michelle s
    Participant

I would like a way to get interest groups and events.

Pictures/videos are fun and probably drive visits to the website from more passive consumers. But not essential from my perspective.

As for weather, I find the most useful thing to be the conditions at your house. For forecasts I always have to interpolate between the town of Arnold, and the Cottage Springs location on your page. Not ideal, but now I’m used to it & it’s ok.

caleach
    Participant

Is there a way to see forecasts from areas other than Cottage Springs? That location tends to paint a different picture of what takes place between Dorrington and Arnold.

gagacabin
    Participant

Been thinking about that, I couldn’t pick just one, so I would like to have it all!!!

More pictures and events would be great!

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Several of the components upon which the current site has been built have become obsolete and are no longer supported. So, it’s time to move forward with a new version of BigTreesTech.com.

I would like to hear from you as to what you would like to see in the next iteration. Possibilities include, but are not limited to:
    Magazine Style with more pictures and videos.
    Social Network style with groups, events, friends, etc.
    More prominent weather, road conditions, etc.

Let me know what you think either here or personal email at
    j o e at b i g t r e e s t e c h dot c o m

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.