Big Trees Tech- future plans

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Big Trees Tech- future plans

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Flyfishr
    Participant

I’m probably going to step on some toes with this, but I would not object to making bigtreestech a pay site. Wouldn’t have to be expensive, but any kind of a paywall should keep out the catfishers.

dhumph
    Participant

So happy you’re keeping the site going! I’m no longer on Facebook and this site is my primary resource for all things Big Trees/Dorrington.

Dacmill
    Participant

One thing: I use WordPress for my organization’s website. When I’m logged into WP I also seem to have editing privileges here- I’m not sure if is additional security you can apply to keep the riff raff like me out of this site’s architecture?

gagacabin
    Participant

Good news, I am happy it isn’t going away

bchank
    Participant

I would also ask that you do what you can to keep the site up and running. I go to it almost every day and find it invaluable. I kept putting off making a donation and did so recently. I would encourage other users to do the same. I find the live pictures and forums to be of most use. If you do want to consider cutting back, the links to road conditions and weather are available elsewhere. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Logs
    Participant

Hi Joe, I certainly understand your frustrations; you have done a great service to so many for so long with little fanfare, and certainly little if any financial rewards. I know many have appreciated it, and hope you will reconsider shutting it down. NextDoor and Facebook are poor alternatives for what is available on your site. I would agree that it is probably a good idea to get rid of new sign-ons, and whatever you have to do to keep out the spammers and scammers should be done. But those of us who do use it can still keep a degree of community involvement that is important. For example, I have had an item of benefit to all, I think, on the back burner for a little while, but just don’t have all of the information I need to pass it on yet. I am wondering where I can pass it on to others at the right time, if not for Big Trees Tech? Hope you can keep it active. Thanks again for all of your hard work.

whynotsnow
    Participant

Please keep the forum! It is very useful for Dorrington and Camp Connell. I go on this site daily, not so much Nextdoor.

Please keep the forum! Thanks! 🙂

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback!

tmjhsc
    Participant

Love the site and will definitely miss it if it’s retired. We own a weekend home in BTV and do not come up every weekend, but I do check this forum every week, multiple times per week to see what’s going on. Definitely less forum traffic than 5+ years ago, but still a fan of BigTreesTech and the TechMan himself, and very grateful for this forum all these years, regardless of the decision about its future!

rswheeler1
    Participant

I find the site useful, except for the ads.
    Scott

lawver
    Participant

I agree just the camera on the backyard is worth a winter visit to the site.

Dacmill
    Participant

Hi- on the home page there was a note about this site and it’s usefulness- but I can’t see how to respond, so i created a new forum thread.

I value this site for the live pics, the current weather and the highway info- especially during winter. I think the forums provide sort of a distillation of FaceBook and other social media sites- the Upper Hwy 4 groups diverge into politics too often, and I think are too large to really be useful- though I have used them for recommendations. I’d prefer to keep this site active, but I’m not sure what would be involved, how many active users and page views there are at this time.

I’m very grateful, at any rate, that it’s been such a great resource for so many years!

David

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.