Bark beetle and SPLAT repellant available at ACE

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Bark beetle and SPLAT repellant available at ACE

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    carlshome
    Participant

bigtreestechman is right. Anchor Pest informed me that SPLAT is not effective on the Fir beetle, or an already infested pine tree. Also correct, SPLAT is a deterrent, not an insecticide. But it has been shown to be effective in warding off new infestations in pine trees. My goal is to reduce the loss of more pine trees to the bark beetle.

itsleah
    Participant

Thanks Carl! I contacted Anchor & they will be spraying our trees as well.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

I was told by a certified Arborist that Splat will likely not be and effective deterrent for Fir Engraver Beetles because it mimics a pine bark beetle pheromone (verbenone), not that of the Fir Engraver Beetle.
    Also be aware that Splat is a deterrent, not an insecticide. So I doubt it will have any effect on trees that are already infested.

carlshome
    Participant

Over the last 16 years I have lost a number of pine trees to the bark beetle. On average about one tree a year. Then I heard about SPLAT last month. After a lot of research I decided that SPLAT really does resist the bark beetle. I then called my regular pest control company, Anchor Pest, and asked what they think? They confirmed the product has been successful and I arranged for them to apply SPLAT to all of my pine trees. Fingers crossed I can stop the loss of more trees.

Carl

RebeccaM
    Participant

Hello Big Trees Community,
    We were just up at the cabin for Spring break and were surprised to see so many dead trees. We thought that most of this carnage was due to the drought, as a few of our young trees have turned brown too. But, when we were down at Ace Hardware, the gentleman there told us about the dead trees in Blue lake Springs due to the bark beetle infestation. He is selling SPLAT, which is a repellant they believe to be effective, but needs to be applied now, the window of April – June. Because it is the spring, this is when the beetles travel to establish new nests, new trees! The product is a pheromone that will keep the beetle away from your trees, however, they may travel to your neighbors. – so spread the word! As far as we know this affects only the pines, not the cedars. Here is some info on Splat:
    https://nifa.usda.gov/blog/sbir-grantee%E2%80%99s-response-killer-beetles-splat

A quick drive through Blue Lake springs, and you will see all of the dead trees… I am afraid that they will travel our way. I have posted this here, so that we can all be informed and work together to protect our trees.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.