back up generator

Home Forums BigTrees Talk back up generator

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chainsawcindy1
    Participant

We had a generator put in our lower unfinished area. Our electrician wired three new plugs next to our refrigerator, a wall plug and our microwave. I believe they just put breakers for those on the main panel. So when the electricity goes out, we plug into the generator plugs, fire up the generator (gas) at least we keep our food cold, are able to heat in the microwave and have a lamp. We have never used it. The gas has obviously gone bad in the generator that has never been used! With so many dead trees cut down there may not be a need to put in the backup power anyway anymore. The one thing we made sure we have in our cabin in an old rotary dial phone…they never need power, so you are able to check with pg&e when the power is expected to come back on! Good luck and Happy New Year.

Flyer
    Participant

The only problem with a back up generator “when needed” is they don’t cycle on there own, so the time you need it you can’t get it started especially if it’s gas and it goes bad. So you need to remember to run them regularly and use fuel stabilizer or 100LL aviation fuel that does not go bad.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Flyer.
    Bajaus
    Participant

Steve : I would be glad to show you what I installed at my house. A system exactly like you are referring to. Cost about $400 in materials. DIYS.
    Mark
    Chinook Way
    209 9863005

caleach
    Participant

I know that the topic of standby or back up generators has been brought up many times and it’s hard to know which thread to go back to.

My dilemma is this.

At first I was going to go with a permanent standby generator and decided that the cost was too great for the amount of time I would be spending up hill. I received a quote from a local reputable company but just decided I couldn’t swing it right now.

I then decided to purchase a back up generator (12 KW) that I could get wired into the important circuits and manually turn on when needed.

I re contacted the original company and they quoted again but don’t feel like I’m necessary getting what I really need. I contacted another locally recommended electrician, (who subsequently did other work for me and very satisfactorily I might add) and yet I still don’t seem to be able to get the answers I need. I have a generator, Duromax, 12 kw, dual fuel and want to tap into 10 circuits in the house that I deemed the important ones should the need arise.

I have talked to both the electrician, the manufacturer and the original electrical company and can’t seem to get a straight answer as to the type of sub panel and transfer switch I need. I can’t believe that this situation has to be so difficult that someone can’t come in and say ” you need this or you need that”. The manufacturer says I need to talk to the electrical people visa versa.

Any comments would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.