AT&T Land Line Cost Savings

Home Forums BigTrees Talk AT&T Land Line Cost Savings

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

For Dorrington, I have a “One Rate Nationwide” long distance plan with AT&T that costs $1.00 per month and long distance calls are .20 per minute. Be forewarned though that surcharges and other fees drive the monthly rate to about $3.75 even if you don’t make one call.

I also negotiated a discount on our monthly measured rate service by calling and asking for “Customer Retention.” They know that Comcast is in the area and they are more empowered to provide discounts and promotional pricing. The discounts are usually for six to twelve months in duration, after which I call again and get an extension.

-Laura on Kenshaw Ct

AZbunch
    Participant

OK, finally got around to calling ATT. And who doesn’t love examining all those complicated old bills? Apparently I was being incorrectly charged a service charge when there were no calls made that month. The service charge should only be assessed when there are long-distance calls made at $.42 per minute (which seems excessive to me, but…) So a refund is being processed for the months with zero calls. Even though I’m rarely there I’m opting to keep the long-distance plan in place…I’ll keep an eye on my billing to see if things revert to the old way.

carlshome
    Participant

AZbunch,

Please let us know the result of your conversation with AT&T.

AZbunch
    Participant

Very interesting….I just checked my bill. I’m rarely at my cabin and had THOUGHT that I had no long distance plan…I use a calling card if necessary. But, now looking at my bill, I’ve been paying $5.95 for ATT long distance, then based on the one call I made several months ago, $.42 per minute! Yikes! Thanks for your post, carlshome!! Time for a call to ATT!

carlshome
    Participant

K6OAK,

I started this thread. It is interesting that you are getting a different answer than I got from AT&T regarding their cost per minute for long distance without a plan on your land line. And I agree, that the price in Fremont should be the same for Dorrington. So which is right??? Anyone out there: if you have No long distance plan on your land line, what are you being charged per minute?

K6OAK: At my Bay Area home I installed Ooma as described by one of the other posts on this thread. It requires an internet connection, and you can keep your old land line phone number. Cost per month is under $5. It works great and I recommend it.

For my cabin in Dorrington I have no internet (I prefer to be away from everything). Plus the land line always works even when the power is out. Which in my location seems to happen a lot with several occasions being without power for 2-5 days at a time.

K6OAK
    Participant

I just checked with ATT because I too would like to cut my landline bill down a bit. The guy told me that without the long distance plan it would be 42 cents/minute! I asked him to verify that and he did with his boss. Now that was in reference to our Fremont home, but I would think their rates would be the same throughout CA.

Tony
    Participant

Remember you can turn on ‘Wifi calling’ on many cell phones and use your cell phone at your home just like a regular phone as long as yo have an internet connection. No added charge with most carriers. I have ATT and there is no signal anywhere in Arnold/Big Trees so this works great for me.

For an iPhone go to: Settings/Phone/Wifi Calling – and turn it one

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-wifi-calling/

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

nkruse
    Participant

If you want to keep your landline phone number but want to cut what you are paying each month – check out Ooma. It is a amazon deal of the day today 12/12/16 – almost 40 bucks off today only – $63.35 today only

I have one I love the savings. It works great as long as you have an internet connection. it is pretty simple to set up.

Telo – Quality

Your monthly phone bill inc. fees and taxes for the 95223 zip code is – Total: $4.37 a month

caleach
    Participant

We disconnected out AT&T landline a number of years ago in favor of converting it to a cell phone line which we wouls use via our microcell.
    That worked fine but since all our other AT&T cell phones also workrood on the Microcell we decided to dicsommect the local number. Except for the occasional power outages there’s no reason not to use our regular cell phones. By the way the addition of the cell phone line on our family plan was only about $10.00/mom.

We have also switched to using Romulo/Nextflix and sling box for a lot of our TV. So Theo ly Comcast service we have here is internet.

carlshome
    Participant

My AT&T land line has also been running about $45/month. But by cutting the no longer necessary Long Distance plan my new bill will be around $36/month. Annual savings of over $100. Sadly, where I’m am located on Indian Rock there is no cell signal at all.

rswheeler1
    Participant

My AT&T bill ran about $45 per month for 4 or 5 days of use per month. My cell phone works fine on Hoopa Circle so I disconnected from AT&T yesterday. It means I won’t have a hard wired phone for severe emergencies, but I’m OK with that. I just have to remember to keep the cell phone on.
    Scott

rswheeler1
    Participant

My AT&T bill ran about $45 per month for 4 or 5 days of use per month. My cell phone works fine on Hoopa Circle so I disconnected from AT&T yesterday. I just have to remember to keep the cell phone on.
    Scott

carlshome
    Participant

I just had an interesting conversation with AT&T regarding my land line. Long long ago I signed up to pay $5.00/month + $3.49 in fees, a total of $8.49/month, to make nationwide long distance calls for 7 cents a minute. Turns out some time ago, how long I don’t know, they lowered the cost per minute to 2 cents per minute. So they have been over charging me 5 cents a minute for some time. So I requested a refund of the overcharge and they offered me $50. Ok by me, that is 1,000 minutes of 5 cent overcharge. Next I asked what would happen to my long distance cost/minute if I cancelled the $8.49 long distance plan. The answer. . . nationwide long distance would be 7 cents a minute (which is what I was already paying). So I cancelled the long distance plan.

Moral of the story is, look at your AT&T land line bill and see what you are paying for long distance. The monthly fee, if you have one, and the price/minute to make long distance calls. It should be 2 cents per minute with a long distance plan, or 7 cents per minute without a long distance plan.

Apparently if you don’t say anything, they will just keep Sc%$&ing the pooch as long as you let them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.