Arnold rim trail

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Arnold rim trail

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    caleach
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies. I think for now I will stick to hiking, not riding.

Steve

michelle s
    Participant

Whoops – typo in previous post:

>>Most of the single track trail has a firewood running more or less parallel to it on the town side>>

Firewood should read “fire road” — thanks autocorrect!

michelle s
    Participant

Hi Steve

Yes the Arnold Rim Trail is long! You can see the homepage at

http://arnoldrimtrail.org

Go to the “Trail Info” page, and you will see an overview map with 2 inset blow-ups of the most popular loops — the San Antonio Creek loop of 5 miles, and the Cowell Creek Loop of 3.5 miles. Both have parking areas in town.

I usually use the trailhead at the Logging Museum, especially if I am taking guests and we go through the museum before or after. The first segment of this part is paved and very accessible, with some interpretive signs. You can also take a dip in the lake afterwards!

Most of the single track trail has a firewood running more or less parallel to it on the town side, which you will see a few places. This can be used as a bail-out route if the loops get too long (though they are not really scenic).

The coolest parts are the “Top of the World” which is a ridge with views in all directions, and “Cougar Rock”. A couple of waterfalls are also possible to visit with side spurs.

My favorite time to go when the Dogwoods bloom. The whole forest understory explodes in flowers and even a short trip is amazing. Falls colors are also great and coming up soon.

Enjoy & let us know what you think!

Michelle

NorCal311
    Participant

Are you looking for pavement or dirt? There is a nice little loop if you start at the Meko Fire station and hit the forest road behind it. You can go down to the rec center on dirt then climb back on pavement. It is about 7 miles. You can also make it shorter by cutting up to Shoshone. That will cut about 1.5 miles off.

-Brian

caleach
    Participant

I have been wanting to try the Arnold Rim Trail and find that it’s quite long. Where is a goo spot do do a loop for the first time?
    Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.