Appliance Repair?

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Appliance Repair?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    caleach
    Participant

Very good point on the pipe freezing issue and will take into consideration.

Thanks

Chumash
    Participant

You already got Pauls appliance to respond I have used them many times they are very responsive. Re winterizing I would still drain your pipes of water as someone else mentioned you can lose power/heat then if pipes freeze they can burst. Last winter we had two bad leaks due to water left in the copper pipes causing soldered seems to burst. One easy repaid under the house and one difficult repair requiring cutting open holes in the walls to find the leak. Expensive lesson learned.

dhumph
    Participant

We had this experience. We kept the heat up and for 12 years had never had an experience with freezing pipes. Then the power went out for a few days during a cold snowstorm. When the thaw came and the power came back on, 2 pipes had split. Thankfully a kind neighbor saw the water pouring out of the basement, turned the water off to the house and gave us a call.

DaveT
    Participant

You’ve no doubt accounted for this in your plan, but it’s worth pointing out anyway that any winter proofing strategy should take into consideration the fact that we can lose power for days on end and it often happens during the most extreme weather. To be safe, unless you’re up here all the time or have a standby generator wired to come on automatically, you should never rely on anything powered by electricity as your sole means of winter proofing.

caleach
    Participant

This string highlights the need for an updated “to do” list for all us weekenders based on other’s experiences.

We ended up putting a hot water circulating pump in our system to help alleviate any potential problems from pipes freezing and this coupled with keeping the thermostat set slightly avoids, hopefully, any additional problems. We used to drain the pipes and that whole ordeal, but decided that we were going up enough that we started to take a more conservative approach.

CalBear
    Participant

Thanks to all the replies. I had tried to reach RJ’s for over a week with no response, perhaps they were gone for the holiday. Paul’s Appliance promptly replied and met us yesterday.
    Probably same issue Caleach mentioned…unit wasn’t defrosting properly and board needs to be replaced…so $400 dollars later…
    Thanks again!

Robert Bansmer
    Participant

Middleton’s recommended Paul’s Appliance 795-7696 when I had a problem with my dryer. He solved the issue, and I would use him again.

caleach
    Participant

Hate to add a negative comment about a local contractor but a couple of years ago we had a refrigerator problem and RJ’s went through two thermostats and couldn’t fix the problem. Turns out it was the compressor so we replaced the unit from Middletons.

Have found out, or have been led to believe, that a common problem with refrigerators in the area is that if they are left on and the ambient temperature stays too low it ends up messing with the sensors and the unit goes bad. Our normal policy is to leave the cabin heat on at 50 degrees during the colder months. This is partly for the refrigerator and partly to keep the pipes from freezing.

w.eppler
    Participant

We have Had Paul’s Appliance of Arnold help us out on our fridge in the past .Very nice and knoledgable man.

Bill.

bigtreestechman
    Keymaster

We always go to RJ Appliance for help.
    http://www.rjsappliance.com/
    209-795-6705

SnowShoe
    Participant

Contact Middleton’s Appliance in Angel’s Camp and I am sure they can provide you with contacts and/or guidance. Our refrigerator died and it turned out to be cheaper in the long run to just replace it. Middleton’s was extremely helpful, provided a quick replacement, and the installers were very friendly, efficient, careful, and knowledgeable.

CalBear
    Participant

Merry Christmas to all!

Looks like we have a refrigerator issue, any recommendations/phone numbers for appliance repairs in the BTV area?

Searched the forums history, but could not find any recent postings on appliance repair/service, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.