Any HAM's out there?

Home Forums BigTrees Talk Any HAM's out there?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I am also a ham and live most of the time in Arnold. Currently, I’m en route to the Dayton Ohio Hamfest, without question the largest assemblage of Amateur Radio operators in the world. With an attendance of about 25,000 hams, one in every 28 US hams will be there!

I am active on most bands and have recently put up a tower with HF and VHF antennas. I am a member of the Calaveras Amateur Radio Society, CARS, whose president lives in Arnold and meets in Angels Camp. The CARS repeater has coverage over most of Calaveras, Amador, and Toulumne counties as well as a large part of the San Joaquin Valley.
    -Mike-
    WA6ZTY

nkruse
    Participant

I use my ham radio quite often at my cabin in BLS. There are a number of repeaters you can reach in the area. In fact there is one on Mnt. Diablo I can reach from BLS to talk to my wife in San Jose. I often ride my dirt bike on the forest roads and bring my HT with me to check in with the wife at the cabin in BLS (on the base station) when there is no cell service. I have my cabin antenna on 10 foot mast that I place on my deck to use the radio, and take it down when I leave. There is CARS http://calaverasars.org/Web/ and a few other clubs in the area.
    Neil KF6UUF

ndamico
    Participant

Well i got a 15′ mast and antenna up on our cabin. Now i can hear the dodge ridge and angel’s camp (fowler) repeaters clearly. i tried the 146.520 but i probably got on a bit too late.

K6OAK
    Participant

I’m a ham and will be heading up to Arnold this afternoon. I usually monitor the 145.17 repeater (Fowler Peak), but that might be too far away from BTV for you to access. I’ll listen on 146.52 when I get close to Arnold and maybe we can talk simplex. Congrats on your ticket!

Dave
    Fremont CA
    K6OAK

ndamico
    Participant

there is no CW requirement anymore. your license is good for 10 years and then you have a 2 year grace period to renew. to change your address you have to contact the fcc.

i was actually looking for repeaters in the area.

allen
    Participant

Back in the day when I got my license I had to learn Morse code. I don’t think you need to now days. HAM radio is “supposed to” keep the world connected in the event of a major catastrophe, but like you said, maybe not so important these days.

Here’s an example of HAM radio these days:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/28/after-nepal-earthquake-people-turn-to-ham-radio/

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by allen.
    Skip
    Participant

I see a bit of irony in HAM operators contacting each other via internet. HAM is becoming a lost art though. Glad you are keeping it up. Do you still need to learn Morse code for a license?

allen
    Participant

Just checked and mine is still active. Do you know who I should contact to change my address?

allen
    Participant

There’s a guy that posts here quite a bit with a ham radio license. You’ll recognize him because he uses his call letters as his user name. I’m also a ham radio operator but haven’t been active for several years. Not even sure if my license has expired – WB6MLF.

ndamico
    Participant

Recently got my ticket and was wondering if there are any HAM’s in the area. I know there is a group in Angel’s camp, but wondering about up here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.