Additions

Home Forums Cabin Maintenance Additions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dogwood
    Participant

If it’s worth anything I recommend Justin Dollar. Starting with a GC is a good idea. Bid out your project and get many ideas before moving forward that way you don’t chamge plans in the process.

Bootstrap
    Participant

Your insurance company and lender, if any, will also want to make sure you have the proper permits… not just the County.. 😉
    …and you have to disclose any non-permitted construction when you go to sell your property, which could affect it’s value … 😉

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Bootstrap.
    Aleon
    Participant

Hello, My name is Allen Shaw. I am a local general contractor that does Design – AutoCad drafting – Construction all in house………I can provide a complete packet for the county permit and finish the project to any stage as required. I have just finished a project that is what your looking aat and would be glad to take you be and answer any questions you have, as well as provide you with a proposal for your own project. Thank you for your time…..Allen Shaw
    http://www.allenshawconstruction.com

PS. I live here in Dorrington and have been here for over 35 years.

cabin
    Participant

And decks built 3 years ago did not need an engineer to plan them. With our stable soil, piers, posts and joists, sizes and spans are all listed in charts which anyone can look up online and the building dept has all those same charts. The county building department helps generate income for engineers it seems to me. Oh well…

allen
    Participant

@caleach – Whatever you decide to do, all the county wants is permit money. And more permit money. Oh, did I mention permit money? It’s amazing how there are cabins in Dorrington built in the 1940s and 1950s that are still standing. No permits required back then.

caleach
    Participant

Thankyou very much for all the comments and suggestions. I will try to remember to post what we go through

Camp Con
    Participant

Rob Westerhoff, an architect in Murphys. We used his services, and he was very good.

CalBear
    Participant

Try Justin Dollar as well … http://www.jgdollar.com or at 795-5191 … They do it all from septic, foundations to remodels/additions and new construction, including design work. As several posters commented, reach out to a number of contractors to seek out their input and approach, along with different options and costs.

Unfortunately the value is something hard to gauge in this market, the most important factor is this something that will enable you to enjoy your cabin more, perhaps allow for more guests and family to visit. Construction costs are still very high, versus existing properties for sale. So the return, in my opinion, really needs to be balanced by your personal goals to make it worthwhile.

cabin
    Participant

Just FYI there will be many things to consider.
    If your garage is detached and has electrical for a normal garage you will probably need more circuits or more practically a sub panel at the garage for the living area. You will need heat and hot water in the new area which means more elec or propane.
    Septic could be another issue depending on size and location. Usually they are sized by how many bedrooms the house has.
    With luck the garage will have been built adequately to support a second story.
    I have heard that sometimes a separate living area detached from the main house can be called a second home and zoning might be an issue. It often has to do with a whether there is a kitchen or not but I don’t know about Calaveras county specifically.
    Good luck with your project and I hope all works smoothly.

Bootstrap
    Participant

I would recommend you start with a local Architect, since you need a design, permit, and possible HOA review before you can start construction. Architects deal with the exact issues you are having…feasibility and value. They are also familiar with building codes and consult with engineers, when required… If you really want that extra bath, you may need a separate septic system or a pumped system, if you can’t get enough fall to drain to your existing system.

Once you have a feasible design, you can solicit bids from several contractors and make your choice.

Flyfishr
    Participant

Steve –
    the contractors should be your first line of contact, whichever you decide to select. Contact several, and take note of their advise. Contacting a contractor is not an obligation to use their service, and they would be more experienced to make recommendations to meet your needs.

caleach
    Participant

While I pursue some of these leads I wonder if anyone base any experience they can share on the process.

Our garage is detached from the house and on the other side of the lot from the septic system. We would like to be able to expand up and out a little over the garage and add a bnous room with a bath.

We will have to deal with feasibility and value, is it woth it for the house?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.
    Steve

caleach
    Participant

Thanks for the tips, now I can start looking into the feasibility of it.

Robert Bansmer
    Participant

I’ve used Jon Berger Construction, 770-0222, and have been very pleased.

Flyfishr
    Participant

I agree about Canton Construction. He did extensive work for me a couple of years ago – siding, decks, windows and he and his son also did some wallboard repairs, wallpaper removal, and interior painting. Excellent job, and would use him again any time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.