I have finally found, and changed, the setting that was blocking forum attachments from visitors who were not signed in (like pictures, etc). Now, all visitors should be able to see content attached to forum posts.
Finally!!! after hours of study and trial and error, I think I have the login issue solved. Tomorrow I’ll get back to working on the new weather setup.
Temporary fix… if you use the URL https://bigtreestech.com/wp2013/ your login status might be maintained… working on a more permanent fix.
Whoops… something has made it difficult / impossible to stay logged in. Sorry about that!
- BigTreesTech is now at https://www.bigtreestech.com/wp2013/. You may not have to change anything but you may have to log in again.
- After spending over an hour with our web host’s tech support yesterday I finally got them to remove the software they had installed that was causing real time images to not get updated on your browser. After you to a refresh on your browser, you should start getting the updated images.
- In preparation for some major changes I have eliminated the Local Webcams, Lube Room, and Alternate Forums pages.
BigTreesTech is going HTTPS. Shortly, the full address for bigtreestech will change from http://www.bigtreestech.com to https://www.bigtreestech.com. This is for security purposes. Moving to https will provide end-to-end encryption of your interaction with the site.
If you’d like to help offset the cost of this added feature, click on the Donate button 🙂
Read more about the security issue HERE.
After many hours of study, trial and error, frustration, and 6 reinstalls of Ubuntu Linux, I have finally got the new mini-computer configured satisfactorily. I can now re-start work on the weather, camera image, and power outage recovery software.
I hope that with the next week or so I will be able to start posting some sample graphics.
Major problem discovered today… The new computer won’t shut down as long as it has power. Instead of shutting down it restarts with some major functions disabled. This is big problem that needs to be resolved.
If there are any Linux experts out there I could really use some help with this!
- New keyboard up and running (2 others returned to Amazon).
- Weather software is up, running, and tested.
- 128GB backup and reserve SD Card now working.
- Have started studying books on the versions of Linux and Python I will be using.
MAJOR UPDATE: 3/8/17
- THE FORUM WILL NOT BE GOING AWAY! 🙂 in fact, I am considering adding “social media” functionality but that will be a ways out.
- Making progress with the new mini-computer setup.
- I would be interested in your thoughts about the format and content of these websites (post in forum please):
I am tending towards making the front page of BTT very weather-centric with forum / social content on a secondary page.
Busy day today…
- New mini-computer up and running
- Linux configured and updated.
- Python and associated packages installed and updated.
- Weather software and supporting programs installed and configured.
Here’s the new development station. The little box on the right is the new fanless mini-computer. The green light behind it is a backup USB hard drive. The computer only burns about 2 watts!
- I have decided not to make any changes until I get the next incarnation of BigTreesTech sorted out.
- The new “mini” computer with completely up-to-date Ubuntu Linux Operating System has arrived.
- I’ve tentatively changed the order of the website upgrade. I think I’m going to start with the overall layout with the front page more focused on weather and webcam images.
For now, my focus is going to be on re-learning Linux, Python, and the weather station software. This will be completely invisible to users but is needed in order to take the next steps.
As they say in the music world…
I have found an attractive new platform for re-development of the weather station data and camera image processing. It’s not a done deal but it looks very promising.
As mentioned in the forum, I plan on making some major changes here on BigTreesTech.com.
- The forum is going away. Over the past year or so, due to an exceptional number of attempted spammer attacks, maintenance of the forum has become a major headache. I am tentatively planning on eliminating the forum in early March, 2017. Hopefully someone will step up and create a new community discussion venue. If they do, I will be happy to provide a link or description of how to join on BigTreesTech. Once the forum is gone, there should be no reason for registering or logging in. All the content should be available to everyone.
- The webhost that I use for BigTreesTech has recently made some changes that seem to have broken the real time image slideshow. To correct this problem is going to take a major overhaul of how I upload images and how they are displayed on the site. I guess I should feel lucky that it has been several years since I had to do any programming for the site but I’ve also become very rusty. I will try to get something working during an interval where we’re not expecting a lot of snow.
- I want to change the amount of weather information provided (more) and how it is displayed. Again, this will force me to delve into some programming. I will probably put this off until the threat of severe weather has passed for the season.